Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ATLA: Live Action Movie

+23
QuadoftheHeart
Deciheximal
Annards
blackjackAV
cuteandperky
VeniceGirl
CameronCavsFan
AshLionHeart
4everZutara
~Cheeto~
Sweetalker
danielledear1
shasyu
blacktiewhitetie
riley
nclartist
NuWatts
xxsoranxx
Kratos618
CriticsConfession
damei92
27 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

ATLA: Live Action Movie - Page 9 Empty Re: ATLA: Live Action Movie

Post  VeniceGirl Mon Jan 04 2010, 10:41

Aaand the article from Empire Magazine:

THE LAST AIRBENDER

Locations: Pennsylvania, USA; Greenland
Talent: M. Night Shyamalan (director), Dev Patel, Noah Ringer, Nicola Peltz, Jackson Rathbone, Cliff Curtis, Shaun Toub
Released: August 13

There are two things M. Night Shyamalan is clearly very fond of: a pretty abstract answer to a question, and a sporting metaphor. To wit: "If you're getting guarded in basketball and keep going to your right, going to your right, eventually they're going to start guarding to your right, so then you go left. Then you go back to your right and they're like, 'Oh, man!'

This is the response he gives to the question, "Having always directed films based on your own ideas, what made you decide to adapt a Saturday morning cartoon?" He's not a man who likes to talk in straight lines, preferring to leave things open to interpretation. But then, he doesn't direct in straight lines either.

Given every project Shyamalan's worked on had in a contrary direction to its predecessor - think of the difference between the Sixth Sense and the gloomy noodling of Unbreakable; or Lady in the Water, a bedtime story for grownups, and The Happening, a thriller so awkward and wooden it seems almost impossible to believe it wasn't deliberate - the short answer to Empire's question could have been: "What would be the last thing you'd expect me to do? A family friendly, effects-heavy fantasy trilogy..."

Still it would be rather unfair to think of Shyamalan's latest project as a retreat to the mainstream after the pasting he received for The Happening. Adapting The Last Airbender is not like making a movie of Thundercats or He-man. A rare example of its kind, this is a film that's going to have to be extremely good to live up to the cartoon on which it's based.

Created in 2005 by Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko, Avatar: The Legend of Aang - or Avatar: The Last Airbender, in the US - is aimed at kids, but equally popular with adults due to the quality of its writing, intricate story telling and high production values. Not unlike Star Wars or Lord Of The Rings in its themes, the series, set in a world made up of four kingdoms named after the four classical elements, and inspired by a hotchpotch of Asian cultures, charts the adventures of two siblings who chance upon a small child, Aang, and flying bison (yes, flying bison) who have been frozen in an iceberg and hold the key to uniting the nations and ending the tyranny of the firebenders. Oh, and particular people in each nation can manipulate their respective element and are known, in a term coined by someone with no knowledge of British homophobic slurs, as 'benders'. Aang, the last of the air tribe, has the potential to control all the elements. It sounds a bit confusing, but it's a story well told across the show's three seasons. Neatly, the film series will also be a trilogy (Shyamalan is attached to all three instalments but will not make the films back-to-back).

“It was Night’s daughters who made him aware of the show,” says producer Frank Marshall on the film’s Philadelphia set. “He started watching it with them and thought, ‘Wow, I could make a movie out of this…’ We’re scaling it up. We’ve made the characters a little older and we’ve made some changes to the story. We’re looking for an audience beyond that of the cartoon.” A larger audience will be needed given the budget is in excess of $100 million and scripting had already begun on part two. If things go will, Marshall says there will be "hopefully more" than three.

“I’d always been toying with large-form storytelling, so you tell it over many films, like a mythology,” explains Shyamalan, “Short of me stopping everything and getting into four or five years of writing, I was hoping to find something like that where I could tell a long-form story. There are a lot of franchises that I’ve looked at doing, trying to find one where I could invoke a lot of my personal feelings, where I could intuit that they naturally would fit. You don’t want it to be the wrong fit. Transformers wouldn’t be the right for my philosophies… This had all the Buddhist and Hindu philosophies – Avatar is a Sanskrit name – and all the things about family and the elements and martial arts. All of it just felt right for me.”

Looking around the enormous set, The Last Airbender is markedly different from every other Shyamalan film. For a start, it’s clearly costing a lot. We’re standing at the grand entrance to a to-be-digitised-later bridge leading to a sky city, just to the left of a full-sized ship that looks like the fanciest craft in the River Styx Cruise Lines fleet, but is in fact the runabout of the film’s bad guys.

Elsewhere there is an ice kingdom roughly the size of Stoke. All the fake snow probably cost more that the entire budget for the Sixth Sense. It’s so big, its production has essentially created a film industry in Philadelphia, Shyamalan’s home town, where he insists on making all of his pictures. But there are some Shyamalan’s hallmarks – not least the fact that he’s found a new adolescent to take from unknown to overnight star, namely Noah Ringer.

The film has come under some criticism online for not reflecting the overt Asian appearance of the cartoon’s drawn cast. Each of the elemental tribes appears inspired by a specific culture, e.g. Tibetan for the airbenders, Chinese for the firebenders and so on. Here, however, the only leading cast-member with any direct Asian connection is Slumdog Millionaire star Dev Patel, a second-generation Indian from Harrow, north-west London. The rest – Nicola Peltz (Katara, a headstrong waterbender), Jackson Rathbone (her clumsy, conceited brother, Sokka) and Ringer – are Americans.

“It’s a fantasy world,” shrugs Marshall. “The cast and the characters in the movie are much more diverse that in the series. So I think you have to see the whole movie and see the whole story and then see how all the worlds are laid out. It’s much more detailed and diverse. We’ve combined them all.”

Putting the others aside, it’s hard to see how the producers could have found a better fit for Aang than Ringer, a pocket-sized 12-year-old who is so well-matched in appearance and ability that he could well have been bred specifically for the part.

“He sent us a tape,” says Marshall. “His friends in Texas had often said to him that he looked like Aang from that cartoon show. He was a martial arts expert – he’d been doing probably since he was two. His head was already shaved. We just couldn’t believe it.” Empire catches some footage of Noah Ringer in airbending action – admittedly, we weren’t supposed to, but somebody left a tape running while we were nearby – and it’s pretty clear that the kid’s got the chopsocky chops. As does, surprisingly, Shyamalan.

“I have a statue of Bruce Lee in my office,” he says. “I’m that guy. Enter The Dragon’s like a religion for me. I’ve always wanted to do [a martial arts movie]. When I saw The Matrix I thought it was awesome. It was like someone else felt the same way as me.”

However, as much as The Last Airbender takes inspiration from multiple forms of martial arts, it’s not really a martial arts movie in the traditional sense – nobody ever actually hits anybody. “It’s interesting because the main characters don’t do combat. They do forms. They’re manipulating elements, which is a whole other thing.”

It will probably still be compared to martial arts movies, though, so Shyamalan wants it to stand out in a crowded genre. “I do really long takes. We could do this with many cameras and may cuts, but anybody can do that.”

Things might not have worked out every time, but one thing you can’t accuse Shyamalan of doing is things that just anybody can…
VeniceGirl
VeniceGirl

http://venicegirl.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  QuadoftheHeart Mon Jan 04 2010, 10:46

VeniceGirl wrote:If things go will, Marshall says there will be "hopefully more" than three.

VBJKSVDBJKSBJKSVDBJKBJKLBJKLSBJKLBJLSGdbklklwfe7u906 89yq54y89vb563y8953 y89nm3v76t689yt89jv5mhevk9tjyi9q9NYT8RAVE9RTHY9MJVSRE96YUJ56EO9PJHYVRTH90GB
QuadoftheHeart
QuadoftheHeart
Production Group Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  Avatar: DoD Mon Jan 04 2010, 12:11

I'm against seeing this movie... Let me rephrase... I'm against PAYING to see this movie... I still say if we meet up to watch it, someone brings a bootlegged copy... Because if everyone decides to go see it, and even if it sucks, all the money goes to them. And we should send a message to every film maker out there who decides to fuck up a series by not giving the fans what they want.

http://thedawningofdarkness.tk

Back to top Go down

Post  VeniceGirl Mon Jan 04 2010, 12:39

When I watch it, I'm going to do so in theaters and let my eyes take full advantage of the action (and probably really good graphics and sets) on the big screen. If it is a decent movie, I don't want to waste my time watching it with not-so-great audio or visual quality, especially for the first time I see it.

And... working on DoD has made me think about production teams differently, even for movies I don't really enjoy. They've put (and are putting) a lot of hard work into it...
VeniceGirl
VeniceGirl

http://venicegirl.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Avatar: DoD Mon Jan 04 2010, 13:03

VeniceGirl wrote:They've put (and are putting) a lot of hard work into it...
Its still not enough if u ask me...

http://thedawningofdarkness.tk

Back to top Go down

Post  danielledear1 Mon Jan 04 2010, 14:16

Well sometimes you have to appreciate all the hard work they've done..... spending a LOT of their time on something... even if/though they mess it up.... It's like how my dad makes me eat stuff my mom cooks (I luv her cooking but some food I hate no matter what cook cooks it).... "Your mother put time and effort into this so you better like it..." ^^;

Now... if they mess it up BADLY AND IGNORE FANS (which they have, I believe) then.................................. >.< BLAH
danielledear1
danielledear1

https://www.youtube.com/user/danielledear1

Back to top Go down

Post  shasyu Mon Jan 04 2010, 15:12

i dont think there is convincing him ^_^

anyway im going to definitly see it, just for the fact that is a film and not that fact that it is based of one of my favorite shows.

but like people who are going to watch DoD...and some of them won't like it...there are going to be people who appreciate it.

So what the races arent correct and some of the story is changed....well we did some weird things too that might seem weird to the avatar world...like a walking talking skeleton....not sticking to the spirits and using a dark "god"...and "teh dark avatar"

I think as a team of people who want to prove a point that sometimes to make things a little more interesting you have to change it up a bit...We'd be giving bad examples to say "we're not going to see this movie because it's not coming out the way i wanted it."

We want people to give our show a chance even if there are things we put in that they wouldnt have wanted....we have to give this movie a chance.
shasyu
shasyu
Production Group Member

https://www.youtube.com/user/smrguysirman123

Back to top Go down

Post  danielledear1 Mon Jan 04 2010, 15:16

speaking of "god of darkness"................................ why can't we have a "spirit of darkness"...? since they don't really have gods... they just have spirits.... Because they never mentioned gods, just spirits, and my great-grandmother didn't believe in god/gods, just spirits... xD

Sorry to go off topic ^^; lol
danielledear1
danielledear1

Back to top Go down

Post  4everZutara Mon Jan 04 2010, 18:33

im actually going to see it and pay for my ticket and the 12 dollar bottle of water lol
and if it starts to get suckish im just gonna remember that im lucky they made a movie for avatar and just because i believe i have a mental condition im gonna go see the movie again so ill be ready for the disappointment when it comes and i can just be ready for the suckishness Shocked

and also i dont appreciate them getting my hopes high say "if it goes well it will be another movie" and im real pissed off about that because i got real excited just now when i read that then i remembered that i cant really believe Mr. Marshall like that
4everZutara
4everZutara
Production Group Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NuWatts Tue Jan 05 2010, 03:38

danielledear1 wrote:speaking of "god of darkness"................................ why can't we have a "spirit of darkness"...? since they don't really have gods... they just have spirits.... Because they never mentioned gods, just spirits, and my great-grandmother didn't believe in god/gods, just spirits... xD
Our idea is that Zi (or whatever we're going to name him), the god of darkness, is distinctly different from the spirits of the Avatar world. There's a spirit world where the Spirits come from and where people's spirits go. Then there's the physical world that we're all familiar with. This "god of darkness" resides in a realm outside of both these places. He's not a spirit, and he's not a mortal.

That's what we've come up with, anyway. Razz
NuWatts
NuWatts
Producer

https://www.youtube.com/NuWatts

Back to top Go down

Post  danielledear1 Tue Jan 05 2010, 09:20

NuWatts wrote:
danielledear1 wrote:speaking of "god of darkness"................................ why can't we have a "spirit of darkness"...? since they don't really have gods... they just have spirits.... Because they never mentioned gods, just spirits, and my great-grandmother didn't believe in god/gods, just spirits... xD
Our idea is that Zi (or whatever we're going to name him), the god of darkness, is distinctly different from the spirits of the Avatar world. There's a spirit world where the Spirits come from and where people's spirits go. Then there's the physical world that we're all familiar with. This "god of darkness" resides in a realm outside of both these places. He's not a spirit, and he's not a mortal.

That's what we've come up with, anyway. Razz

So we're basically expanding the Avatar universe..................................................................... ok........................ xD
danielledear1
danielledear1

Back to top Go down

Post  4everZutara Wed Jan 06 2010, 00:42

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1262730954&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

i wasn't planning on watching the Superbowl (unless my home town team was in it the EAGLES) but now i will go paramount
4everZutara
4everZutara
Production Group Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NuWatts Wed Jan 06 2010, 00:45

danielledear1 wrote:So we're basically expanding the Avatar universe.
Well... ya. I mean, we say that pretty clearly in the show's official description:

Fifty years have passed since Avatar Aang defeated Fire Lord Ozai. Five years have passed since Aang's death. Following the adventures of new characters, Avatar: DoD will expand on the current world of Avatar by introducing additional histories, original abilities, and exciting possibilities. This is about a new story, a new generation, and a new danger...
NuWatts
NuWatts
Producer

https://www.youtube.com/NuWatts

Back to top Go down

Post  4everZutara Tue Jan 12 2010, 18:22

The Last Airbender Halloween Costumes

cuteandperky
cuteandperky
Production Group Leader

Back to top Go down

Post  4everZutara Sat Jan 23 2010, 13:11

cuteandperky wrote:I was just looking on wiki on The last airbender and found out that Nicola Peltz (who is gonna play Katara) was in Miley Cyrus's music video 0=!!! She is the girl in red shirt with the waitcoat with blue jeans on. Rocking out see if you can see her ^^

yeah i do remember this video i was lookin for her in this to see if she still had braces on but i didn't get a good look

yeah and when i paused it i dont know if its just because she is wearing red or her hair is black but i think she would be a better azula then katara
4everZutara
4everZutara
Production Group Member

Back to top Go down

Post  4everZutara Mon Jan 25 2010, 18:03

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!1 omfg this is so awesome

http://www.lastairbenderfans.com/index.php?subaction=showcomments&id=1264427336&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

new official posters of the movie aang version and zuko

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (i actually screamed that out loud too. lol stop reading this and click on the link already
4everZutara
4everZutara
Production Group Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next